Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Senate, Too

That's what I hear, Bush. The media vote-counters have announced that Jim Webb has taken Virginia. I'm still waiting for George Allen's concession, and hoping that we can all avoid the agony of another cliff-hanger recount. We'll see. Meanwhille, though, we can provisionally enjoy the prospect of Democratic control of both houses. Checks, Bush, and balances. That's the ticket.

Rumsfeld? I hear of grumblings from Republicans who have lost their seats--and other Republicans who have lost their power--to the effect that they are pissed you didn't take this action earlier. Even a week ago, when you were still swearing eternal loyalty, it could have made a difference, they believe, to the election results.

Pelosi? Coming to lunch at the White House today, they say. Hmmm. Bon appetit, Bush.

But this entry is intended just to let you know that I'm taking a few days off. Ellie and I have an anniversary coming up (34 and counting!) on the 11th--yes, Bush, Armistice Day, 11/11: we made it out of City Hall in time to toast the event at 11 minutes past the 11th hour--and we're driving out to Joshua Tree to spend a couple of days in the California desert. Don't get your hopes up, though. I'm leaving The Bush Diaires in the capable hands of my new associate, Cardozo, who will be posting as usual. As for me, I plan to leave my computer at home. The only downside to this luxury is the anticipated flood of email waiting for me Monday.

Until then, Bush, keep working on that "New Bush" I've been hearing about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it true that Bush once referred to the Constitution as "just a God damned piece of paper."?!

William Rivers Pitt: A Deep, Deep Breath
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/110906Z.shtml

Anonymous said...

Hi Carly, yep, he sure did! It was quite a while back ago, but he did... Well Peter, you have a good time. Know that Dubya won't be. He now has to deal with the Dems, something he really, really doesn't want to do, it means 'compromise', not a word that is in his vocabulary. Not only that, but you know that Robert Gates is the last person I want to see replacing Rummy. That man in the past cooked more intel... and now he's going to be in charge of the Iraq situation... I don't think so. I've already started the E-mails on that one! Well, I'm watching PBS, and they are going in for a Tarantula with a cam, It's supposed to be a big one, unfortunately they found a mouse;). I'm outa here, have a good one Peter...