Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Congratulations: A New Congress, and...

... a Happy Anniversary!

Yes, Bush, my eyes fell on the date at the top of today's newspaper and I realized: it's our anniversary! Congratulations! We made our first entry in these pages exactly two years ago today, on November 8, 2004, just shortly after that year's disastrous (in my view!) election. It was on that day that I happened to stumble all unwittingly into the blogosphere and hit instinctively upon the name that has brought us... well, if not fame and glory, at least a few faithful readers: The Bush Diaries. Two years old today. Still an infant, really, but with a relatively short life expectancy: only two years to go.

They promise to be tough ones with, now, a Democratic Congress and, just possibly, a Democratic Senate. But they should be interesting, too. I'm looking forward to them.

Speaking of congratulations, I neglected earlier this morning to send mine to all those Democrats who put their hearts and souls into this election. Not only those who won in sometimes bruising races, but also those (like Steve Young in my congressional voting district) who contended valiantly and lost. To the Democratic leadership: to Howard Dean and his vision of a fifty state attack; to Senator Chuck Schumer and Rep. Rahm Emanuel, for their efforts on behalf of senatorial and congressional candidates respectively; to Nancy Pelosi, a real winner, and Harry Reid; and to all those who volunteered their time and effort, who worked so hard to counter the Republican machine, congratulations!

And congratulations, too, to my myriad fellow-bloggers. Congratulations especially to online organizations like MoveOn. I do believe their contribution was enormously significant, and will continue to be in the coming years.

I'm just happy that all those efforts were rewarded with the results we see today.

No comments: