Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Three Cheers

It's turning out to be one of those days, Bush. I woke up with some useful ideas, but they're all gone now. We've been in HMO hell for a few days now: our daughter suffering acute pain in the kidney area, and shuffled from doctor to doctor, each one diagnosing something different--and prescribing something different. She's in zombieland, now, with all the medications, and the answer still not yet clear. Though yesterday, I have to say, our family practitioner did come through with a possible cause. We just hope he's got it right.

Anyway, listen, my mind is not with you today. Just a brief entry to say, Thank God. Finally. The Supreme Court of the United States came to its senses yesterday--barely, by a squeaking 5-4 vote--and put an end to the barbarism of enacting the death sentence on men who were only boys when they committed their crimes. Three cheers for those five Justices. We were the last country left IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, Bush, to have perpetuated this criminal practice! I think your Laura, with her concern for boys and what's happening to them these days, in our society, will have to be pleased by this decision. Any boy who kills has to have been severely damaged by the adults in his life. To simply kill him in revenge is not a reasonable answer, nor a just one. I've said this before. I'm just happy that the Supreme Court has now imparted its wisdom to the country in this matter--and shocked, I have to say, that four of them remain firmly on the side of the barbarians.

I trust, Bush, that you're with me on this. And, presumably, your Laura.

No comments: