Friday, March 11, 2005

More Dead

Just a quick note this morning, Bush, since I have to leave early for a day of teaching. I see the headline in the Los Angeles Times, "Bomber Kills 47 Outside Mosque", and I ask myself, how many more human beings have to give up their lives in the name of religion, or of ideology? How much longer before we stop destroying ourselves and destroying each other, out of unconsciousness, out of ignorance, out of willful blindness? I leave you today with a lot of sadness and a lot of pain. Take a moment during the day, Bush, to take a breath and give thought to these 47 more deaths. One way I've found to make it real is to close my eyes and see myself being blown to pieces forty-seven times, counting them, one per second. Give it a try, okay? And don't spare yourself the details of each time you die.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Clothier. I hope this message gets to you. I met you at the Patriot's parade a couple of weekends ago in Laguna Beach. I was the young lady who approached you and your wife about same-sex marriage. Sorry it has taken me so long to write you a message, but I have been very preoccupied with school and work. Anyways, just wanted to say hello and thank you so much again for supporting the work that we are doing in the Vote for Equality campaign. It means a lot to us. take care. By the way, I am very impressed by your biography...I can now say that I know someone famous!