Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Tax Day

Tax day today, Bush. Or at least the day of reckoning. I have my annual tax appointment this morning. Wish me luck, okay? I'd like to think that all your generous tax cuts are going to help, but I don't think we're rich enough for that. Ah, well.

Actually, Bush, I have to confess that I'm not a good American in this regard. I may have told you this before, but I really don't object to paying taxes. I'd even be willing to pay more, as they do in most of the rest of the civilized world, because I happen to think that there are certain things that we do better collectively than individually. Like building roads, to take an obvious example And maintaining them. Or education. Medicine--or let's say, health insurance. Social security. The whole infrastructure of services that we all need and use. And so on. Call me a commie, if you will. It's just the way I think. It must be the "old European" heritage your Rumsfeld likes to mock.

Taxes, Bush? You say, keep on cutting them and cutting them until government as we know it goes broke and dies. That's one of the differences between us. I say, bring 'em on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter, I think I found out your system. I hadn't heard Rumsfeld's tag of Europe and it's old heritage. It really shows how out of touch this administration is and it's lack of admiration for the old system: art, architecture, museums, culture in general. ME

Peter Clothier said...

Hello, ME, thanks for checking in. And yes, I agree: culture in general appears to be at the bottom of the list. As though it were a luxury... Cheers, PeterAtLarge