Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Skimping

I realize that I'm skimping on our blog a bit these days, Bush. It's the real estate stuff. It's having bought our new little house in the hills and NOT yet having sold our old big house in the hills. It's having to go away next weekend, AND give a keynote speech, with escrow closing a couple of days later. That's my excuse. What's yours?

I was going to give you the benefit of my wisdom on the Michael Jackson verdict today, but I changed my mind when I read the Nicholas D. Kristof piece in today's New York Times. I know I've mentioned Mukhtaran Bibi to you before--the woman condemned to gang rape by a tribal court in Pakistan for a crime committed by her brother. She was supposed to commit suicide after her humiliation, but instead went on to confront her accusers, get a conviction, and become a leader in the education of girls and women in her home territory. Now invited to the US to tell her story, according to Kristof's report, she has been subjected to further ordeals by the Pakistani government, and is currently being held incommunicado by the Musharraf regime. The Kristof essay concluded--I hope you took the time to read it, Bush--with a direct challenge to you, to stand by your oft-invoked ideals and by the claims of this country to be the beacon of freedom in the world, to put pressure on our "ally" in the war on terror and to publicly invite this courageous woman to the White House.

A great idea, Bush! I hope you'll take notice.

No comments: