Saturday, June 11, 2005

Bolivia on My Mind

Well, Bush, the LA Times did publish my letter on the pursuit of happiness, which I posted in this diary the other day. Still, I thought you might like to take another look at it, as published, so here it is.

Also, with the country on the verge of civil war, according to news reports, I've been wondering what you think about the situation in Bolivia? I mean, do you side with your natural allies--the multinationals who control the nation's gas and oil reserves, and their wealthy establishment supporters? Or with the people of Indian descent, a significant majority, who want to take these resources back by nationalizing them? This has to be a tough one for you, I imagine, Bush. It's a choice betweeen the reigning plutocracy and what you like to talk about so much--at least in those areas of the world where it fits in with your agenda: "democracy." Government by the demos, the people. In this case, perhaps, the nationalizing Indians who, after five hundred yeard of colonial repression, want a fair share of the pie. I hope we'll soon be hearing where you stand. But I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: