Sunday, January 02, 2005

Money matters

A reader complains that I haven't acknowledged your raising the offer of US aid in the Asian disaster to $350 million. Duly noted, with appreciation. I hadn't figured you for a good old Texas poker player, Bush--if your religion allows this artful pleasure--watching the pot and upping the ante as appropriate. It must have been a bit galling to see little Japan raise you by another $150 million within hours of your latest offer. Still, with the military costs involved in addition to the commitment of money, it would be churlish not to acknowledge that the U.S. is now beginning to pull its weight.

And yet, even with this acknowledgment, I admit that I persist in unfavorably comparing this $350 million to what it costs us to pursue your ill-planned, poorly-conducted war in Iraq (for a sobering assessment, watch the cost counter mount by the second; and to your grandiose announcement in 2002 of a Millennium Challenge account to give African countries development assistance of up to $5 billion a year. According to a recent NY Times editorial, the account "has yet to disburse a single dollar." Oh, and how about all that money promised to New York City after 9/11? Did that ever materialize? I heard a lot of it went missing...

I was disturbed, too, by your Powell's appearance on this morning's Face the Nation, in which he claimed that, in the first days following the disaster, your administration was simply "concerned," believing there to be no more than about 10,000 victims. Excuse me, Bush, I don't believe there could have been a single person watching the developing news who could have entertained such a low assessment: it was clear from the start that the problem was infinitely greater than the one that Powell sought to describe.

Bottom line: in my perhaps misguided liberal view, the silver lining to this dreadful catastrophe is to offer the world a whole new paradigm, the opportunity for a collective change in consciousness about how we can live together on this increasingly small and overpopulated planet. It's a revelation to see so many nations rushing to contribute to the aid of those in need. Help might have been slow in coming, but it's surely on its way, and the much-scorned United Nations has the opportunity, now, to demonstrate its value and its clout.

Let's not go this one alone, Bush. Let's begin to see the value of followership as a part of leadership. I caught a snatch from one of the rabid right-wing radio talk shows just a couple of days ago, with the host ranting on about how it would be a cold day in hell before the U.S. should work with the U.N. again. I say, let's give it a try. Let's for once use our power and the undoubted goodness of our heart in the context of the collective power of the world's nations. Let's see how it works for us to be one among many, instead of The One.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Peter, Peter, Peter....

I have the solution to the problem. Let the US back down and conform with the UN. Let's pack up and leave Iraq. I mean, let's just go, come back home and do nothing and solve our own domestic problems by finding affordable health care for all and a solution for poverty. Heck, everyone could go to college. Let's let Al Qaeda and others like them fill the power vacuum in the Middle East. And let's see what happens, seriously. We'll save billions in dollars and in people! We can easily write a check for the entire cost for any disaster relief effort like in the tsunami area and everyone will love us for it. But, wait, why go it alone. Let's get our new peace loving friends in the Middle East to join in the fun. Go with me on this, an Al Qaeda-type government would supply the entire world with oil. Osama Bin Laden, the mistaken humanitarian along with his recently freed cabinet member Saddam Hussein, would thankfully donate their vast wealth to help the UN solve the world's problems. Osama Bin Laden has told us directly through the PBS of the Middle East, Al Jazeera, that if we left he wouldn't attack us anymore. I think we should believe him. And think about it Peter, every time you filled your tank on your hybrid Toyota Prius, you would be "donating" to the cause. The cause for peace. I can see it now, Israel, Palestine, Syria and Iran playing soccer for the Middle East Peace Cup. It's a glorious world vision! But sarcasm gets us nowhere.

Tell me Peter, (and other readers) am I misguided? Do I sound like a nut case? Is it totally from "left" field? The reality, Peter, is this:
I respect your opinion and your writing, honestly. That is why I have continued to read here. I am just your average 30 something, white, married, homeowning, taxpaying, college educated guy who has no problem with my current life or worries about my future. I have moderate concerns about world problems, our country and the health and safety of my fellow man. I respect all people, big and small, skinny and fat, orange and purple and handicapable. I believe in my president, that is why I voted for him... I agree with him and I do on occasion disagree with him. There are 10's of millions of Americans from all walks of life that have and share my opinion. Yet a lot of Americans like yourself, like to bombard us with the brainwashed terms, the religous zealot biases and call us callus war-mongering racists. We literally get sat down by our liberal friends for "psycho analysis". Why?
What did we do? Have convictions?

Visit my blog, http://fromsteve.blogspot.com