Thursday, January 20, 2005

Inauguration Day

Well, Bush, guess what? I missed your speech this morning. Totally. Well, almost totally. Fired up the TV at eight AM. Sat through the arrival of quite a number of dignitaries, like Oscar night. Listened to your Lott and the however-many-gun salute. Heard the songs, nicely sung. Watched your Cheney sworn in. Watched you sworn in, and then… you'd hardly uttered but a few words of your speech when the contractor arrived. We have a number of jobs to be done in and around the house, so it took some time to show him what's what. And by the time we were finished, so were you. Bad timing, I guess. Then I had to go to the doctor about my hives.

Not a truly propitious start for us, Bush. Anyway, I imagine I'll have the chance to catch up with your words in the newspaper tomorrow. Meantime, not a bad word from me today. Just to wish you not only the very best of luck but, more importantly, the best of wisdom for your second term. And the same wish for those Democrats in Congress. May they loyally oppose. And indeed for all of us out here in the so-called "real" world. May we all survive, and thrive, and stay alive. May we all find the kind of happiness that detracts from no one else's. As my teacher says, the world would be a better place if we all found that true happiness that can exist only in the real "real world", within.

With that, a Happy Inauguration Day to you, Bush. Do right by the world, and you'll do right by me.

No comments: