Saturday, July 02, 2005

Moderation

I had something ready to send you this morning, Bush, but Sandra Day O'Connor got in the way, with her surprise resignation--so that will have to wait until tomorrow. Re: the Supreme Court, however, I heard what you had to say about "a dignified process," involving "fair treatment, a fair hearing, and a fair vote." I respect that. I just want you to remember that a good part of dignity is balance, and fairness by definition works both ways. Too often, it seems to me, that for you it means getting your own way, no matter what. Fairness, to me, means taking me and millions of Americans who think like me into consideration. And for us, Bush, the word is "moderation." It means working the Middle Path, not simply pandering to those folks far out there on the religious right. I am filled with dread that you'll come up with another of those nominations we have discussed between us in the past, and yell and scream when Democrats (and democrats) oppose you. For once, I'm asking you to be wise, not rash. Thanks for listening.

No comments: