Thursday, July 21, 2005

Launch

I applaud the NASA decision to go ahead with the shuttle launch in a couple of days, Bush. We're all so risk averse in this country, no? Here are a bunch of brave men and women who want to do nothing more than risk their lives to further the great space adventure, and so many of us sitting around wringing our hands about what might happen, in the worst scenario. I say, let them go, if that's what they want to do. They're grown-up. They know the risks--and I'd hazard a guess there are many of them, known and unknown, shooting off into the wild blue like that. It's not something I'd choose to do myself, but I'd sure want to support their choice. Which is one for all of us, really, since we stand to benefit from their work.

On a different scale entirely, we're sitting here on a pile of risk ourselves, Ellie and I--having staked a bundle on the new house I've been telling you about, Bush, and still not having sold our old one. It's partly about the money, of course. The thinner we get stretched, the greater the risk seems--and the harder to maintain that steadiness of purpose. So it takes an emotional toll, too. Still, the one thing I've learned about risk is the simplest of its lessons: the greater the risk, the greater the potential return. The other thing: I've never taken a risk that has not paid off for me in the long run. Not necessarily in ways I would have wanted or expected, but I think I can truly say that I have never taken a risk and not come out ahead.

Wish I had something useful to say about the big things of the day, but I just don't. Your Roberts? He seems like a decent enough man, and honest--which is more than I can say for some of your other friends, Bush. Speaking of which, he seems to have managed to nudge your Rove off the headlines, for the moment at least. Do you think you're going to get away with this one? My head continues to spin at the thought of everything you've managed to get away with thus far. And the list is long...

No comments: