Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Wednesday, November 10

Not much time today, I'm afraid, Bush. But I didn't want to let the opportunity pass to take note of your Ashcroft's resignation. As you'd expect by now, I was amongst those who were appalled by his cavalier disregard for the civil rights guaranteed by the American Constitution. His letter of resignation, so I heard, contained a "mission accomplished" clause not unlike your own declaration on the aircraft carrier last year. Like yours, his seems to me more hot air than reality: as you so often keep repeating, the war on terror is far from over, and the safety of the American public far from reassured. All in all, I regret to have to say, good riddance. I do very much hope that you'll look for a replacement who will have greater respect for the law than for political contingencies. As I understand it, that's supposed to be the Attorney General's job.
Oh, and I can't resist adding that I'm looking forward to the same from your Rumsfeld, your Rice, your Wolfowitz, and a host of others. I suppose your Cheney is too much to hope for.

No comments: